24 maggio 2019

The writer's voice - Beverley's perfection

There’s a lot of behind the scenes when it comes to write a book and when said book gets published. So much that is left unsaid but that somehow it was fundamental for the making of the stories that reach the readers.

Nothing is perfect, as I mentioned in the first post I dedicated to this interview; world knows no such thing. Somebody’s creature is perfect only when the creator’s instinct says it is, and we all know how hard is it for a writer to get to that point. Inevitably, once we re-read our children (our books) there’s always something missing, something that could’ve been done better, something that is just not how we wanted it to be.

And I asked Beverley about it, of course, because I’m a curious little bug, as Gabriel and Moth are. Can you really hold it against me?

 

 

S: Which is the thing you love the most about these novels and why? Which one would be one good reason to read them out of all the values and virtues of the saga, if you had to convince someone and talk them into reading it?

B: Am I allowed to say everything? I’ve lived with these characters and stories for so long they are ingrained in me. If I had to pick one reason for reading, I would say the courage shown from all of my characters (even the villains!) The courage to face what seems to be the impossible, to never give in no matter how hopeless the situation is. That courage has its foundation in loyalty and love and trust, which all spin together to weave the threads that make this series complete.

ɤ


S: Are there things you wished you had done differently?

B: With hindsight, it would have been better to write the whole trilogy and then publish, as writing them all singularly (and not plotting ahead) was difficult at times. But I’ll know for the next time I write a series! I can’t think of anything off the top of my head :)

ɤ


S: Which part of the writing process do you usually enjoy the most? And more specifically, which part was the funniest to write about Gabe Davenport’s story? Which one the saddest? Which one the hardest?

B: I love character development. Seeing how the character arc changes from the first chapter to the last, and knowing what they learn from it, always makes my heart beat faster. And I love it when a thread takes off with its own wings, taking you into places you hadn’t even thought of – and its so, so good when this just works. The funniest? I’m not sure there is a funny bit, unless, of course, you count character banter. Noah and Carver have some lovely dialogue. The saddest? Gosh, there’s so much I could write for that. I’ll say the deaths/almost deaths that occur throughout the series to keep it non-spoilery.
And the hardest? That was tying up all the loose threads in Purity, without losing the story, and keeping true to my characters.

ɤ


S: You told me once your characters have their own voices, so I guess it’s more than fair to give them some space in this little interview. What would they say to any reader? How would they sell the novel if it was up to them? Anything they want to say that could be considered remarkable?
(Moth I love you so much you’re my fave be my friend)


B: Moth would probably say their story is none of your damn business, that what happened is theirs and theirs alone. And really, I think he speaks for just about every character. There was too much pain, too much loss, for them ever to want to shout it out to the wide world. The exception being D’Grey, of course, he was always happy to be in the limelight, on his own terms.
So, no, they wouldn’t sell it *thanks, guys* They just count me as their noctuary, the one who wrote their story down, maybe as a lesson to others, maybe simply because it had to be told.

ɤ


S: Also, any favorite color? Might be a stupid question, but that’s something no one ever asks and I think it’s important. You get to know a lot about people just by the answer.

B: I always saw Gabe in dark colors. Moth too was always dark, navy blue and black. Clove, black and red. D’Grey, the same. Teal, gold and ocean blue-green. Olivia, navy, grey and black. Those are just off the top of my head. Maybe not favorite colors, I never asked them, just colors I associate with them!

ɤ


S: Finally, last but not least, any tips or tricks for those who are trying to write a novel and get published, either by any publisher houses or as independent authors? And any suggestions for those who are stuck and can’t find their way?

B: Writing a book is hard. Editing a book is even harder. I’ll just throw that out there for anyone who thinks this might be easy or a way to get rich. None of these are true!
You have to be prepared to put in the work, even on days where you might not feel like it. Your story will take over your life. You’ll find yourself thinking about it even as you go about your daily tasks. It will wake you in the middle of the night with a snippet of perfect dialogue, will demand all of your attention even when you’re sick or exhausted.
If all this doesn’t put you off, you’re ready to start writing.
I don’t think there are any steadfast tips and tricks, just whatever you find works for you, but one is definitely build up a network of writers who will support you. Whilst writing Gabriel I had a wonderful support crew on Twitter, and sometimes just having someone to rant at is all you need, because writing is a lonely process, and you sometimes feel like you’re screaming into the void.
It doesn’t matter what route you want to take, be it trying to get an agent, or publishing your novel yourself, the same golden rule applies. Your novel must be the best you can possibly make it, and there’s no short cuts for this.
If you find yourself stuck as you write, one thing I do suggest is writing a little character back story, even if you never intend to use it. This frees up the mind from dancing around in ‘oh my God, what do I do now’ circles, and gives your character some freedom. I’ve learned some very interesting things by doing this, and just sometimes the answer to your muse block is written in these words.
But, above all, remember that you are the only one who can tell your story. It has your unique voice, even if you feel like the tale has been told before. Trust in that voice, and trust your characters. They won’t let you down.

Vector-Ornamental-dividers-free-download-350x350 - Copia (2)

Even this adventure has come to an end. It’s bittersweet, because talking about Beverley’s world, characters and writing has been fantastic, and sharing this with you, guys, has been a dream come true. I always wanted to interview some authors I consider valid and like a reference for me but I never thought I’d ever get this far.

I’m so happy that Beverley was by my side in this, because I couldn’t ask for anything better. I found out about her by chance, and that chance set off this unexpected chain reaction that led me to say out loud that I would like to write a novel like hers, one day. I would like to grow as a writer to the point in which my characters are so vivid and give a lot to the reader; I want to write for my readers the same powerful stories she has written and shared for and with us.

Writing a book is not only a lonely process, but also a terrifying one and somehow Beverley’s clicked with her writing style, her characters and their adventures, but also with her words and tips she shared with us in this interview. I don’t know about you but she gave me hope and strength.

Once again thank you to Beverley for her time and for putting up with my fangirling; she had and still have a lot of patience ahah! I’m not an easy one to put up with.

Thanks to all of us who’s followed this journey; I really do hope there’ll be more about Beverley and her wonderful saga, because all the praises are more than well-deserved and I’m definitely not ready to let it go. In the meantime, excuse me while I go and annotate the hell out of the series while drowning in my feels.

Lots of love to every single one of you; thank you for reading and I hope you found in Beverley’s words a little of the strength and the courage I found when I read them.

Sam.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento